Rules of Parenting
Michael Grose’s Commandments for Parenting
Here are the wisest commandments ever applauded to parents.
1. Thou shalt be consistent. Do as you say you will. Children know where they stand when you correspond, follow through and suggest exactly what you say.
2. Thou shalt expect children to contribute (without being paid). Anticipate children to help at home but do not anticipate them to do so enthusiastically all the time.
3. Thou shalt encourage routinely and constantly. Keep in mind that motivation and appreciation will get kids a lot further than criticism and punishment so be your child’s best encourager rather than his fiercest critic. Support assists a child link his/her self-confidence to the process, instead of the outcomes of exactly what they do. Treat kids and young individuals as you want them to be. If you want responsible, capable kids then treat them as if they are accountable
4. Thou shalt be known that kids and young individuals only see one side of any problem. Not that kids and young people lie, however they have actually been understood to exaggerate or see realities only from their side.
5. Thou shalt reveal love and love to your kids.
6. Thou shalt say you like each of your children at least once a day.
7. Thou shalt capture children and youths behaving well. Take notice of your children’s positive behavior more than their negative behavior. Exactly what you focus on expands so if you focus on the positive behavior that is exactly what you generally get. Offer descriptive feedback so that your kids understand what they succeeded. E.g. “That was terrific the method you two worked out the TV-watching issue without arguing. You both compromised a little which is wise.”.
8. Thou shalt develop self-reliance in kids from the earliest possible age. Never ever frequently do for a child the things she or he can do for him or herself. Keep in mind, your task is to make yourself redundant.
9. Thou shalt set limits and limits for children and expect that they will push against them. Children and young people require limits and limits as they make them feel secure.
10. Thou shalt keep a sense of humor when handling children. This will help you keep things in viewpoint. It might appear improbable some days but they will soon grow up and run out your hair and be a living, breathing reflection of YOU.
11. Thou shalt be an excellent good example for your children. Show instead of tell kids and youths how you desire them to communicate, live and behave. Children discover what they live and, as parents, your actions speak louder than your words. Enjoy!
For info about Michael’s Parent Boot Camps, workshops and Parent Coaching programs check out www.parentingideas.com.au.
Keep in mind that encouragement and appreciation will get kids a lot further than criticism and punishment, so be your kid’s finest encourager rather than his fiercest critic!
I have a family which whom I love so much. I have three small children and a husband to look after. Along from being a mom and wife, I’m a woman with a myriad of interests -mom tips, health, personal development, decorating, organizing, finances, frugality, family time. I'm always looking for ways to better myself to pass along to my children
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new window. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.